CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, October 30, 2008

A Good Day

Today was a good day. We started the morning off in Jackson with Dr. Shores. She is absolutely wonderful and it was a joy to get to meet her today. She did an ultrasound of the heart only. We did get to see Mary Glenn but it was only for a short second and no measurements were taken. The diagnosis of her heart was really good. The fluid is still there but it is so small...just a smidgen as the doctor described it to us. It is located on the lower anterior lobe and does not surround her heart. The number one cause of fluid around the heart is: structural damage, number two: heart arrhythmia, and number three: a viral infection to me and the baby. Mary Glenn's heart structurally, functionally, and rhythmically all look normal to Dr. Shores. PRAISE GOD!!! She believes that the same thing that caused the kidneys to shut down probably caused this fluid. She told us today she did not see any reason for us to deliver in Jackson. She felt confident in the NICU at Forrest General Hospital. Another praise to God. What now? She did order an echocardiogram at birth. If the fluid is still there then we will follow up with her in Jackson after birth...if not we are free from Jackson. We will continue the NSTs each week.

After Jackson we traveled back to Hattiesburg for our fourth NST test. Once again we passed. PRAISE GOD!!! Dr. Benton was very pleased with the results and we press on for yet another week. Dr. Benton did tell us today that himself and Dr. Perry have discussed taking this baby at 34 weeks...which is three weeks from Saturday. Dr. Benton is going to talk with Dr. Perry again in the next week or so and discuss further. We were hoping for closer to 36 weeks but I am putting this ultimately in the hands of God and also our doctors. Some of you may (including my family) ask why so soon. Well with a baby that is growth restricted like Mary Glenn the chance of complications in the womb increases between 34 and 36 weeks. This was definitely an eye opener for Shea and I but we must trust our God.

While in Jackson with Dr. Shores we were leaving the office and having small talk. Somehow the topic came up that I was over 30 week gestation and how that was a positive sign. I explained to Dr. Shores that I was 30 (almost 31) weeks but the baby was measuring much smaller than me. She then explained something to us that I have never grasped. The baby may measure 24 to 26 weeks, but her maturity is the same as my gestation. Which means that her organs are 30 weeks...her skin...her eyes...etc... This was positive news to me because I was thinking her lungs were only at 24 weeks. If we can make it a few more weeks we will have a better chance with better lung development. PRAY!!!

Every time we have a doctor visit we get asked the same thing...how big is she now??? We are not measuring at this time. Two weeks ago (our last growth ultrasound) she had only gained 1 oz which was very discouraging to myself. We talked with Dr. Benton and Dr. Perry and they both explained that we must give her time to grow...SHE IS GOING TO BE SMALL!!! When we have ultrasounds every week or so it starts giving us false positives and negatives. We will have a growth ultrasound on November 13th! PRAY!!! Our next doctor's visit is next Friday, November 7th at 8:00 for a NST and visit. This is actually a very important NST for myself. One of my best friends is getting married next weekend and I want so bad to be there for her on this big day. The good Lord willing I will have my NST that morning then hopefully head to Mobile for wedding festivities. Please PRAY for a good NST!

I will post a picture tomorrow but this afternoon Shea and I went to visit friends Rachel and Josh Jussley and their new baby boy Hatten. He is so beautiful. Congratulations!!!

God must be given the glory today. He is so awesome and wonderful!!! I have given him lots of praise today...but that is still not enough. Please continue to lift us up in your prayers...IT IS WORKING!!! We love you all!

In His Words,
Bethany

8 comments:

The Metz Family said...

Happy Halloween Bethany-
I love reading your updates, and I am so glad to hear that you are going to be able to deliver in Hattiesburg. I think I have told you before but my Mallory was 6 weeks early, born at 34 weeks. While she was a healthy weight, she did not have healthy lungs and stayed in the NICU for almost 3 weeks. I want you to know that you will be dealing with some of the most awesome nurses and doctors ever. They were so wonderful to all of us, and I still think of them all the time and how they became like an extended family to us. You will be so pleased with how well the will take care of Mary Glenn.
I hope to see you this weekend at homecoming so I can tell you again how awesome I think you are.

Bonnie Tyrone said...

Bethany,
What great news! I love reading the updates and check them everyday when I get to work! Please keep us posted! We are so thankful for good news and will continue to keep you, Shea, sweet Mary Glen, and you entire family in our prayers! Have a happy Halloween!!

blog said...

Thinking about you!

Shari said...

I have been reading all the updates Bethany. I am praising the Lord that things look better! God is so good! I will continue praying that things will continue to go well and that Mary Glenn continues to grow. Take care!

mbo said...

Great news. Hope you can push on until 36 weeks!

Julie said...

Yay! Just in case you are buying clothes....Let me recommend "Kissy Kissy" premie size clothes to you. They have fit the best for when Magdalena was super small and as she grows! They have hats to match. Next time you are in Jackson, there is a store called "Sweet Dreams" in Madison which carries a lot of cute things. The owner's name is Rachel and is so nice and willing to help.

Carly Winborne said...

Bethany,

That is wonderful, wonderful news! So glad to read your updates. Keep it up, you're doing great participating in this miracle.

I am praying for you.

Carly

Julie said...

I am so glad that you are going to mistletoe on Thursday. I will be there too, so if you recognize me please say hello!
To get to sweet dreams you go 220North take the Madison exit, turn right at the light. pass a burger king on your left and shortly after that you will see sweet dreams on your left in a shopping area. There is a parking spot by the door for pregnant women! I hope you like the shop! Christy is the owner and super great!